Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Getting Really Technical

I just got back from a 5 day trip to Palm Coast, Florida. I played three golf games in three consecutive days. I took pictures of my friends' swings and ask them to take my picture too. After the game, while perusing my digital camera images, it became apparent that my finish form is not that good looking. My friend has a better looking form. That was the first day. Even though I was out driving my friend and out-scored him, I decided that his form will help me improve further.

The difference between my form and his is the finish of the swing. He turns his shoulders around and stays there even at the end of the swing while I seem to be standing up erect when I finish. On the second day, I decided to put that end of the swing form into mine. Disaster. I started pushing and fading my ball to the right. Although mostly serviceable, this was a night and day difference from the previous day where my ball is going straight to my target with a slight draw at times.

This effect made me to think and figure out why. There is a similarity to my putting - when I open my shoulders during the stroke, the ball goes right. The explanation is the face of the club or putter must be striking the ball with an open face. When you think about it, this is really what is happening. If you think of your shoulders as two points of a triangle and the third point is the club head, the distance of the shoulders to the club head must remain the same for both the time of set-up and the time of the hit. Opening the left shoulder makes the distance to the ball longer while the right shoulder's distance get shorter - the effect of which is an open club face. Vice-versa can happen too but seldom.

This said and proven, I reverted back to my old form and played happily ever after. By the way, this topic has a very important implication to putting. The face of the clock should be visualized, the shoulders turning like a pendulum, the force measured by the "hours" separating the backward and forward stroke - and all successfuly implemented to be able to putt straight.

No comments: