Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Time to go to the next level - no swing thoughts?

It has been written by a lot of professionals that the ultimate goal is for muscle memory to take over and that the swing mechanics should be forgotten in order to achieve the highest level of golf skill.

Well, theoretically, I feel I can do this. When practicing the swing, I can feel that my whole focus when executing the swing is the upper body - in particular - the center part of the chest. I feel that my entire power is focused on that small part of my chest, the center bone of the chest, the sternum. That must be a technical term for that part of the skeleton. This is that part of my body I feel hits the ball.

Can I forget everything and just feel my way through the swing? The driving range reminded me that the answer is NO and it is because the cocking and bringing the club by the right hand up is a key ingredient of my swing. The downward hit is done by the chest but the upswing must be done by the right hand.

The reason and answer to this, I concluded can be found in the other topic - The Isosceles Triangle. I MUST RESOLVE NOT TO IMPROVE ANYMORE IF IT WILL ENTAIL A CHANGE IN MY CURRENT SWING. My swing is simple at the moment. Setup, bring the club up with the right hand, shoulders twist as much as possible, shoulders hit!

No comments: