Tuesday, June 02, 2015

The Chip - Unlocking the Secret of the Takeaway

The takeaway is the recent unsolved part of my swing. It is always and still that part of my swing that I do not own.  Every outing there is always something new to tinker and something new to learn and something learned to swear by. But every outing seems to be a "new" outing.  Well here I am again at it ready to swear by a new discovery!

Recently my game is very unstable. I am having a problem bringing my driver up again. It seems to be connected with topping the ball which leads to corrections to steepen up my takeaway which leads to changes on the grip which in turn leads to a meltdown of the swing. It is an interconnecting circle of bandaid solutions that exacerbate the problem.

But the solution may be right before my eyes and I have ignored it. How can I have solved the way to chip when I cannot do the same for a full swing - I asked myself? What am I doing in the takeaway in chipping that I am not doing in the full swing?

Well I learned in putting is just to bring my putter back and let the big muscles do the forward motion. I applied this to the chip and it worked so I retained the same technique to my entire swing. But while it works totally on my chips it is a work in progress with the full swing. When I started dissecting my chipping, I realized that I was just breaking my wrist backward on the takeaway while I was not consciously aware of this fact in the full swing. I was so engrossed with correcting the grip to steepen the plane when I should really just concentrate on breaking my right wrist backwards.

Topping the ball which started the merry-go-round corrections should really be secondary to the proper right-wrist-breaking takeaway. The topping can really be corrected by the alive grip.

I actually already found the solution but ignored the importance of it. "Another way of doing this using the left palm and pushing it downward while the right middle finger (alive grip) is used as a fulcrum." 16JUL2015: DO NOT FORGET THE PRECEDING!

Copied from a previous posting:
THE "FLICK".  THE FLICK IS ACTUALLY JUST THE ALIVE GRIP WITH THE LEFT PALM PUSHING DOWN WHILE THE FULCRUM FINGER PULLS AND PANS THE CLUB UP ALONG THE PLANE. THE RIGHT HAND GRIP IS EXTREMELY WEAK AND THE LEFT HAND MUST CONTROL THE CLUB ON THE FORWARD SWING UP TO THE PICTURE PERFECT FINISH.

No comments: