Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Swing Imagined As a Closing Door

I already have a good swing.  However, I have this problem of topping the ball.  I cannot seem to be able to naturally get a divot.  I always struggle with this, my club coming back behind the ball or topping the ball.  Never a consistent depth, so to say.

One of the things I work on is fully cocking the club with the left hand until it pulls my left shoulder. This works and the club really digs in but I tend not to do this full cocking every time.  Another thing is full cocking is really not needed in every shot.

One of the things I have been tinkering on is imagining the swing like a door. Bring the club up along the open door (ala Nicklaus) and at the top, just slam the door shut.  This means that the ball is hit while the body is already past the ball - which may be the correct way.  We will see. Time will tell.

Well, here it is, day 2.  This idea of a closing door has some merit but it does not feel natural to me. However, seeing a swing of Rory McIlroy on the TV commercial of Rolex watch, reminded me about his right hip being the engine of his swing. His right hip moves first and the upper body just follows.

To make the story short, if I bring up the club up to the point where the right forearm and biceps are fully anchored on my right side - like a door fully opened -  I can actually bring my right hip forward and around, the club is pulled in automatically with that NATURAL feeling.  In addition, the clubhead comes back to the ground on the same spot it was on setup.  What else can I ask for?  This discovery seems to be a natural progression to the one I was writing about in the previous posting - so this is how I should play right now - the Rory McIlroy's way.

Just remember, the important thing here is the upswing finishing with the right upper body (right side) feeling the arms (biceps) very tucked in on the right side and with a feeling of very well connection (like glued) to the body (and therefore, the right hip).  So when the right hip starts, I can feel my arm, the club and everything being pulled by it - and bang - big hit and divot!

No comments: