Friday, March 20, 2015

Alive grip, important or essential?

Well let us go back first and explain what an alive grip is.  It is the grip where the right middle finger is used as a fulcrum to balance weight of the club as it is held during set-up.  It automatically also brings the club up at the time of the backswing.

In addition, let me relate what happened to me today at the driving range.  It is winter here and all my practice is done inside my bedroom.  I just found out how to impart a spin on my chips on my carpet which actually led to my thinking of how the golf swing really works.  What I found out is that the club is actually pulled to hit the ball - and in contrast - not hammering the ball.

To see if my bedroom discovery is correct I had to go to the driving range.  Although, I validated my pull discovery, I lost my way of bringing up the club.  I lost my skill to perform the takeaway - which I was doing in my bedroom just a couple of days ago.  Well, I let it go since I was not there for practice but just to prove my theory.

At home, I went back and read what I have been writing about recently and I found the topic on the alive grip.  I had forgotten - easy now since I am getting old - gripping my club at set-up with the alive grip.  I went in my bedroom and used the alive grip.  Well what a revelation!

Because of the pull technique of golf shot (with the alive grip), just turning the left shoulder in without starting the club with the right hand, is actually enough to make a complete turn automatically - the same every time! Could this be another Hogan secret?

Takeaway from this topic:  FROM NOW ON, ALWAYS USE THE ALIVE GRIP AT SET-UP! JUST TURN THE THE LEFT SHOULDER IN AT THE SAME TIME COCKING THE CLUB WITH THE RIGHT MIDDLE FINGER FOR THAT EVER REPEATING BACKSWING! Of course, do not forget the extreme grip that I wrote about in the previous recent postings.  It creates the divot.

IMPORTANT (April 9, 2015)

What was discovered here is the essence of the golf swing.  On chip and putts, the axis is the hands is while in a regular swing, the axis is the shoulder.  The pulling force is dependent on the individual.  The main point to remember is the golf swing is the fluid motion of bringing the club up pivoting along the axis with the body feeling the weight of the club.  When the desired moment is reached when the club has stopped its acceleration, the pull of the body is started and the club thrown towards the ball, letting the pulling force be as violent as desired towards the target and then the body closing up to the picture perfect finish.

We must remember that this is the whole objective in the Imperfect Golf Swing - to create this fluid motion of bringing the club up and feeling the weight of the club and pulling and throwing the club head along the ball towards the target and turning the body to the perfect finish at the top.  All the rest, the grip, the stance, etc. are dependent on the capability of the individual to execute this move.

This topic is copied in different postings to remind us of this fact.

No comments: