Thursday, March 12, 2015

Divots - a better explanation

Wonder why I cannot make a divot?  It is because I cannot delay the hit to the point where my body position will be in front of the ball.  If my body is in front of the ball when I turn around, the lowest part of the arc of my swing should be able to dig in and create the divot.

Now how do I delay the hit? Use a solid sky looking grip - like the chip grip described in the previous posting.  This grip will promote a bigger turn of the shoulders.  Bigger turn, enough time for the body to clear the ball before the hit.

Actually the bigger turn is not the real answer.  It is hard to put into words.  With the bigger turn, my feeling is as if I need to pull my body back to the ball - not just a turning feeling - but a physical pull back toward the ball... and of course, the turning around after that.

Well, after musing this big turn late hit scenario, what really happens by this type of grip - it actually promote a steeper plane and, therefore, it creates a divot or sort of digs in more. But wait, do not forget that the alive grip is essential, if not important!

No comments: