Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Golf Swing Simplified or the Tiger Woods Way

I have always believe from that start that Tiger Woods cannot not be long and consistent at the same time without him simplifying the swing. I have watched him a lot of times and he seems to be just like a machine - no extra moves. He just goes up, down, and done!

After a long quest, I believe I know what he is doing - and it a very simplified swing. He does not hit with the hands. He hits by turning his body around! So all he does is bring the club up and turns around to a C-finish, letting the body drag the arms and the club back to the ball and through.

You may have different swing thoughts or techniques as long as you "hit" with the body. Here is how I do it at the moment. Depending of the evolution of my swing, this may change. However, right now, here it is:

1. I set up the regular way, making sure the "alive" grip is employed.
2. Waggle.
3. Forward press with my right knee and immediately lift the club with the right hand. For a higher trajectory (irons, especially the long irons), I lift the club abruptly with the two middle fingers of the right hand (pronounced cocking). Doing this with the woods encourages a draw or hook. For the driver and fairway woods, I rely on the jammed-up grip which ensures a little push or a very light fade. The jammed grip ensures a consistent direction.
4. At the top, the down swing is started (and hit) with the body returning to the C-position (picture-perfect position). Please see the topic about the left wrist as it is an detailed extention of this. I sort of learned this after writing this section.

There is no thinking involved. The set-up takes care of aiming and the club grip takes care of the trajectory - pure target golf.

Why do I do a forward press (read the muscle memory section also)? I find that the essential swing thought or technique, which is the left hip starting and bringing the club up in the upswing - I cannot keep up thinking about it throughout the game (18 holes). I lose it, especially, when the adrenaline goes up in competition. With the forward press, my mind is empty - the muscle memeory takes over.

Rating of this Tiger body-turn hit is G-10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's up Nito Abad, my Blog's name is Wooden Tigger, which I tought it would be kinda cool for a blog's name, but anyways, just letting you know that someone from Sweden who love's golf (and has a golf swing instruction site as well) visited your site.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Nito Abad :) nice name. I don't get to hear that name that often here in Guatemala ;), (everyone speaks spanish). I working on my english right now, I have even started a golf swing training site in pure english, which is a first for me.

Anyways, just letting you know that someone from other parts of the world read your site.
Cheers