Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Muscle Memory

It is a necessity to commit to muscle memory all the techniques learned. It is not enough to know them and think about them when executing a golf swing - it is a necessity to forget them! The ultimate phase of the perfect golf swing is executing them automatically - letting muscle memory do the work. When in the golf course and playing golf, the golf mechanics must not be brought with you. Instead, one must be enjoying the game, playing the course, thinking about how the ball will carress the wind and grab the ground. No thoughts of golf swing mechanics should cloud the mind.

In order to accomplish this, one must practice, practice, practice. Practice the body as well as the mind. And, take heed that muscle memory is important. If not ingrained, during competition or any time of stress, the lack of it (muscle memory) will haunt you.

It is easy to say muscle memory but almost impossible to execute. In my case, I found I cannot do it. I am a target golfer. I will set up, follow my routine, and fire. This works for me and I doubt if I will ever be able to change. Sorry to say that I cannot follow what I preach. Lots of luck to you who can.

In order for my technique to become more or less like muscle memory, I rely on a forward press (G-8) of my right knee to start the swing. With the forward press, I was able to forget the mechanics of the upswing. Of course, this works best with the extreme alive grip (G-8).

No comments: